Leather Care: The Ultimate Guide for Any Occasion
From purses and handbags, to wallets and even journals, we want to enjoy the quality and durability of leather products for a lifetime. From the very moment they are created, they need to be cared for properly.
At Ainacare, we know all the ins and outs of leather care, and our eco-friendly products will surely keep your favourite leather goods looking beautiful for years to come. In this guide, we are going to cover everyday care and must-follow maintenance tips to show your favourite leather products some love.
Everyday Leather Care
Leather is one of the most durable, low-maintenance products out there, but it’s important to follow certain leather care guidelines to keep it looking its best and avoid unnecessary wear and tear.
- In a nutshell, leather is skin, so it can stretch. Avoid overfilling your purse or handbag to prevent it from stretching and ensure that it maintains leather’s original texture.
- Direct sunlight will dry out the natural leather texture and can make it brittle. Keep your leather products away from the sun.
- To maintain natural lustre of the leather, wipe off the dust from it regularly with a soft cotton cloth.
- Wet leather requires extra care and can develop a smell. If rain is in forecast, make sure to take an umbrella.
Storing Your Leather Products
Storing your leather goods appropriately is one of the simplest ways to maintain high-quality finish and prevent damage.
- Store your leather goods in cotton bags to ensure proper ventilation. You can also create a small hole in the bag.
- Keep your leather purses, bags, wallets, journals, and other products away from direct sunlight, as it can fade the leather tone and dry out its natural oils.
- Store your leather products away from artificial sources of heat, such as electric heaters, as they could lead to cracks.
- Store your leather products in a dry place, but make sure it isn’t overly-dry. Too much dryness can also cause the leather to crack.
- Avoid storing leather goods in humid or wet places, as it can lead to mildew.
Cleaning Your Leather Accessories
To promote the longevity of the leather, it is important to regularly clean, condition, and remove any mildew from it. Follow these important leather care and cleaning tips:
- Use a clean dry cloth to remove any dirt or dust from your leather wallet, bag, belt, or shoes. If necessary, apply a little bit of lukewarm water and let it dry naturally.
- Never use a hairdryer to dry wet leather products.
- Do not use harsh chemicals, soap, cleaning solvents, furniture polish, abrasive cleaners, or ammonium water to clean your leather goods. You can use products from Ainacare that are created specifically for cleaning and conditioning leather to keep it fresh and protected.
- If a chewing gum got stuck on your handbag, you can place an ice cube inside a plastic bag and hold it next to the affected area. After several minutes, lift the ice bag and gently remove the gum.
To ensure the maximum longevity of your leather products, follow these leather care and handling tips:
- Always use clean hands before handling any leather product, as it could easily absorb grease and skin oils.
- If there are stains on the leather surface, remove them as quickly as possible, as they would be more difficult to clean later on.
- While carrying leather purses or bags, avoid contact with heavily-embellished clothes or sharp edges that can scratch the material.
- Before storing any leather accessory, make sure that it is fully dry and there is no moisture left anywhere.
Removing Smell from Leather Products
Leather has a distinct natural smell to it. Luckily, it can easily be removed with the following tips:
- Leather odour usually goes away on its own after 1-2 weeks of regular use. So, you can simply wait for a bit, and the smell of your new leather bag will automatically fade with time.
- You can place your bag outside in the sun for no longer than 30-45 minutes, 2-3 days in a row. Make sure not to overdo the sun exposure, as it could lead to cracks in the leather surface.
- As a last-resort alternative, you can sprinkle some baby powder on the bag and rub it with a soft cotton cloth.
How to Care for Different Leather Accessories?
Thoughtful storage and everyday leather care will go a long way to maintain the life of your favourite leather products. However, different types of accessories may require slightly different care techniques.
- During the trip, always stand your bag on its wheels or special protective feet rather than on its side. This will minimize the contact with the floor and associated damage.
- Make sure to use protective luggage cover to protect your bag from any scratches while it is in the hold or overhead compartment.
- In between trips, fully empty your travel bag and store it in its protective bag. Make sure that there is sufficient space, and the bag isn’t tightly packed against other items.
- While it may be tempting to leave your handbag full with everyday essentials ready for the following day, it is important to empty it out completely to avoid wrapping. Once empty, fill the bag with plain tissue paper to help it maintain its shape.
- If you are going to store your bag until next season, you can wrap the hardware in tissue paper to prevent any unwanted imprints on the leather. Then, cover the bag in the dust bag or a neautral-coloured cotton bag.
- Store your handbag away from artificial heat sources or direct sunlight. Do not hang the bag up, as it could stretch the handles, - instead, stand it directly on its base.
- Do your best to always stand your briefcase on its protective feet to prevent unnecessary wear of the leather.
- Do not overfill your briefcase with contents to prevent excess strain on its zips and hardware.
- If you need to pack your briefcase inside a larger travel bag for a trip, make sure to place it inside a protective bag.
Purses and Wallets
- Do not overfill your purse’s compartments and pockets to avoid stretching of the leather.
- When carrying a wallet inside a handbag, place it in a separate compartment to prevent any scratches and imprints.
- Gently wipe or brush your purse or wallet regularly to remove any dirt or dust. Use a special leather cleaner and conditioner from Ainacare to do so.
- Since most of us wear belts every day, it is important to rotate them to extend their lifespan.
- Ensure the correct fit of your belt to prevent scratching and ensure its longevity.
- When storing your belt, gently wipe away any debris and hang it by its buckle. Choose a dry, cool space away from direct sunlight or heat.
Albums and Journals
- Make sure to thoroughly wash your hands before handling journals or albums to avoid transferring any residue to the leather surface.
- Regularly polish or buff your albums and journals with special leather conditioner from Ainacare to keep it well-hydrated.
- When storing your treasured journals or albums on a shelf, keep them away from direct sunlight and ensure that the shelves are not overcrowded.
- When removing a book from a shelf, pull it from the middle to avoid scratching or misshaping the finish.
- If your gloves get wet from rain or snow, let them dry naturally away from artificial heat or direct sunlight.
- If you need to clean a glove, gently wipe it down with a cloth or soft brush. Then, wear the glove on your hand and apply the Ainacare leather cleaning solution with a sponge to gently remove the residues. Once clean, leave your gloves to dry in a dry, cool place. It is also a good idea to put them on from time to time to ensure that they maintain their shape.
Keep Your Leather Accessories Looking Their Best with Ainaclean
Leather is loved by men and women alike for its beautiful natural tones, one-of-a-kind texture, and unparalleled durability.
To make sure your treasured leather accessories serve you well for many years to come, it is crucial to invest into high-quality leather care products.
With the Ainacare leather cleaning kit, you can clean and condition your leather products easily, safely, and effectively. Our leather care solution is made from all-natural, eco-friendly ingredients that will safely clean away any dust, dirt, or mold from the leather surface and form a protective film to keep it looking its best. Shop now.